Chalkwell Redcaps

Chalkwell Redcaps

Saturday 18 February 2012

100 x 100's - Ouch, by Lorraine Rate

Training is going really well for me at the moment and I felt the urge to attempt H20's 100x100's for the second time.  All swimmers training for SKS are really working hard and the commitment is really coming through now.  The 100, 100's is session is a killer, as it makes you do the distance with a structure behind it, rather than just swimming along singing and taking in the scenery!

I break mine up into batches of 1k.  The first time I attempted them a month or so back at Garons, Southend, I paused for 30 seconds after each 1k to take on nutrition.  I focused on taking enough rest after each 100 too so that my actual time for the 100 was consistent.  I am trying not to allow myself to become a progressingly slower plodder.  Stay focused, keep looking at the clock, and keep swimming at the same pace.

However, for me, taking too much rest between each 100 leaves me bored and just wanting to get on with the next one.  Although I made the 10k relatively comfortably, I realised that I should be training hard during the 10k in order to get my stamina/endurance levels up.

So this time, it was intended to do it all at speed.  My programme was as follows:-

10 x 100 off 95
5 x 100 off 90
5 x 100 off 1.40
10 x 100 off 95
5 x 100 off 90
5 x 100 off 1.40
2k done.  Take 1 minutes rest for nutrition and repeat the above 5 x.

For me, going off 90 is a killer as it only ever allows me about 7 secs rest maximum.  But, after doing 5 or so, this 7 seconds rest drops to about 2secs rest.  This is why I was realistic and only put 5 of them in.  Do 5, then go into recovery mode for a while, then back into comfortable mode for a while until those 90's come round again.

It worked brilliantly until nature called at the 7k point?   Damn, I purposly did not drink too much before I left home and also visited the loo before I entered the water, but unfortunately, when you are taking on the fluids during the long swims, the inevitable happens.  When you've gotta go, you've gotta go.  All was going well till this point, but I stupidly did a quick leap onto the pool side and both calves cramped up in a terrible way.  I fell back into the water as I was looking rather ridiculous half in, half out with pain etched on my face.  I wasted about 3/4 minutes rolling about in agony then eventually hobbled to the loo.  Damn, damn, damn.  I knew it was going to be tough getting back on track.

The next 1k saw me swimming with flat feet, toes pointing to the bottom of the pool trying to send the cramp away, so needless to say, the 90's didn't happen.  It was now all down to mind games.  Don't let that little man in the back of your head that keeps saying "You've messed up, so go home" get the better of you.  I wanted to listen to him, but being a woman - I didnt !!!!   I had to settle for 1.40's for the rest of the 10k as not only had I lost my mo-jo, but I had also lost my pace-maker, Mr Ben Jacques - whom I am convinced that without him, I would not even have got to 7k.  It's so much easier drafting.

See you in 3 hours time !
Ben, also bailed out at 7k due to neck and shoulder problems.  It happens.  Doesn't matter how focused and determined you are, what happens on the day - happens on the day.

Overall, my pace was a lot faster than the first time I attempted it and there were factors that prevented me from completing my target schedule.  I will attempt it again in a months time.

No comments:

Post a Comment